Memory foam mattresses have increased in popularity over the last few years. The material is a type of polyurethane that dates back to the 1960s and was created by NASA. Originally, the substance was used as padding for seats and helmets. However, it proved to be a popular use for the mattress industry due to its ability to contour to the body.
A mattress made of memory foam is believed to have certain qualities that can help relieve pressure. However, you should have all the facts before you set out to shop for a new mattress.
Is Memory Foam Safe?
There are certain health risks from some memory foam as there may be certain carcinogens, specifically, benzene. According to the American Cancer Society, benzene is one of the most common chemicals used in the United States in spite of its potentially harmful effects. Research has shown that the substance can cause cancer.
Memory foam mattresses sometimes contain benzene, but there may be others as well. Naphthalene is also often found in them. It is usually used as a repellent for moths. Memory foam mattresses that have a strong chemical smell typically have toxic materials. While this smell may gradually disappear, it doesn’t mean there are no longer health risks.
Why is Sleeping Important, and How Can Memory Foam Help?
Sleeping is always important, but you must also be comfortable in order to get quality sleep. You should be able to wake up feeling refreshed, stress-free and pain-free. Your mind should be positive when you wake up. Poor sleep can lead to a variety of health issues. When you have a good sleep, you can reap certain benefits with your health, including the following:
- You can lower your risk of heart disease
- You can lower your risk of hypertension and stress, which can also improve your mental health
- You can lower your risk of diabetes
- You can lower your risk of mood swings and mood disorders
- You can lower your risk for obesity
A memory foam bed can help you get a better, more peaceful sleep and ensure that you wake up feeling comfortable. A strong mattress is essential to getting a good night’s sleep.
Advantages of Memory Foam Mattresses
Memory foam mattresses offer certain benefits. They include the following:
- Comfort: Memory foam mattresses are comfortable and conform to your body. This reduces the pressure on your spine and allows you to get better rest.
- Temperature control: These types of mattresses offer good temperature control, allowing your body to feel comfortable. The mattress blends with your own body temperature, which allows it to feel softer.
- Pain relief: Memory foam offers relief from pain. As a result, you can look forward to eliminating aches and pains in your body when you lay down.
- Allergy-friendly: Most people don’t have a problem with allergies from memory foam mattresses. Dust and debris do not get absorbed, which means you can sleep symptom-free.
- Less disturbance: If you have a restless partner, a memory foam mattress can prevent disturbances when they shift around. There is no transfer of movement when your partner turns over, allowing you to enjoy a restful sleep.
Disadvantages of Memory Foam Mattresses
Of course, there are certain disadvantages of memory foam mattresses as well. They include the following:
- Chemicals: Memory foam mattresses have been made from chemicals that give off an unpleasant smell. However, today’s options have fewer chemicals to reduce risks.
- Stickiness: Some people complain that memory foam mattresses feel too sticky in the sense that they conform to the body. People who are bigger or overweight may have more of an issue with this.
- Hot: These mattresses are often hotter than other types due to the way they retain heat.
If you are seeking a mattress that’s comfortable and that will give you a great night’s sleep, you might want to consider memory foam.