Why is it that every female friendship that hits a bump in the road always requires some type of dramatic, emotional, over-exaggerated crying make up session? Why? Why can’t we just simply forgive each other and move on like guys do. I can understand the not talking for a few days or so. I can understand that feelings may have been hurt. After all, hurt people, hurt people. But what I don’t understand is why we allow a simple disagreement to manifest into a disgusting monster. We dwell on it day in and day out replaying it in our head. Then we repeat it numerous times out loud to ourselves and eventually force others to listen to the nonsense. After all this has been done we somehow find other ways to make our side seem more legit than the other and then it doesn’t become about the argument anymore but about the principle. And so on and on and on and on–ok stop!
Ladies get over it! Grow up! Put on your big girl panties and cut the drama.
1. Before you pursue the argument think about why you’re willing to argue in the first place. If it’s a simple disagreement then let it be just that. End it there in a respectable manner. People are different. They have different views, beliefs and opinions–America is known for diversity–so it should be normal.
2. Arguing because of the principle is definitely not an excuse. Since arguing does not serve a fundamental purpose or moral code this just becomes the perfect excuse for unnecessary drama.
3. Name calling is unnecessary. How can we possibly expect the other party to respect us when we don’t return the favor? Cursing, loud talking, finger-pointing and how well you can make up a disgusting nickname for your opponent still doesn’t negate the fact that you both are making a fool of yourselves. Do we realize how many fights between black women are recorded and then posted on internet websites as entertainment? In the end the only recognition you will receive is for having a viral video with the most negative commentary.
4. Arguing does not yield respect–that is unless you are a lawyer…the majority of us aren’t. SO…I think you get where I’m going.
5. If you are wrong admit it. Everyone nowadays is too grown and too good that they can’t be corrected. Real women owning up to their mistakes and humility represent good characteristics to possess. It’s ok to make a mistake. If no one corrects you then you will keep on making that same mistake. Whether the motive behind the correction is genuinely caring or not the truth is the truth. Disregard the negative messenger and pay attention to the message.
6. Finally, If your girlfriends are the ones promoting you make a fool out of yourself publicly then you need to find some new ones.
Ladies we are getting older and wiser and now it’s time to live it out. We don’t have any obligation or ties to being “ghetto” or “loud” because that’s how it’s always been or how society portrays us. Realize that we have the power to change things. We are the ones to introduce the new life to the world. We nurture and raise every generation that is here and to follow. Our little girls don’t have to be the same women we see fighting in the street over a man who doesn’t care about either of them nor do they have to be the loud talking friend encouraging such behavior.
“Maturity starts with willingness to give oneself.” I think this is a principle that is worth holding onto for the sake of our drama-free futures. It works for us now and those that will follow in our footsteps.