Do you remember this phrase: “Heyyyyyyy Professor Oglevee!” You should. It’s just one of the most infamous lines in recent television history brought to the world courtesy of Mo’Nique’s character “Nikki Parker” on the UPN classic “The Parkers.” The Academy Award winner’s first major character pined after Dorien Wilson’s loveable character, Professor Stanley Oglevee, for five torturous seasons. He ignored her affections and her attempts to kiss him each Christmas below the mistletoe and dated beautiful woman after beautiful woman. But, Ms. Parker was determined! She cared for the professor when he was ill, made spare keys to his apartment, and even disrespected his girlfriends – all in the name of love.
After five seasons of stalking Professor Oglevee, he realized that he was in love with Nikki and stopped her wedding to another man to profess his need to have her in his life. The series finale ended with Nikki Parker adding Oglevee to her last name and officially claiming the man that she had loved through all of the restraining orders and threats. But, that is television. This is real life where fairy tales rarely end with a happily ever after.
Professor Oglevee never explained the reason why he wasn’t interested in Ms. Parker, but I suspect it had more to do with the stretch marks underneath her flower tunic shirts than her stalker tendencies. Face it. All men are not interested in the girls with the extra curves. It might seem superficial because there is more to a woman than how she appears on the outside; but seeing as I prefer tall, chocolate men with Caesar cuts and dimples, there is no need to be upset when my size 18 hips are not at the top of a man’s preference list. Curvy ladies, don’t resort to being Nikki Parker. Instead, learn the signs when a man is not interested because of the scale numbers. Here are five of them.
- If he keeps hinting that it would be healthier to order a salad with grilled chicken than the steak, mashed potatoes, and broccoli, he might be more concerned with your rolls than the buttered ones on the table.
- Don’t be suckered into evening dates across town or into going to midnight movies. That is an indication that he either has another girlfriend or is embarrassed to be seen together in public.
- It is natural for men to glance at other attractive women; but Yif his eyes roam to women with smaller waists and perkier breasts ALL the time, chances are he has little interest in what you have to offer him physically.
- Fat jokes around his friends and relatives. Enough said.
- All women, regardless of size, want to be complimented. What woman doesn’t want her lips sucked as the man she likes tells her how gorgeous she is and how her smile brightens up the room. If he can never offer a compliment without adding something about weight behind it e.g. you’re beautiful for a plus-sized girl, then he’s just not into you.
You deserve to be desired. If he can’t get with the extra pounds, he isn’t worth the time or energy. Nikki Parker should have known that in the second season.