Guest Blog by AfroBlush
“Generally you have to listen to your hair, because we all have different hair types and they all react differently. A lot of it is trial and error; you have to do what works for you and your hair. Here are my top 10 natural hair rules. Enjoy!”
- Comb your hair only when it is wet and full of conditioner
- Always wear a satin/silk sleeping hat/scarf when going to sleep, or sleep on a satin or silk pillow
- Deep condition at least once a week unless your hair is in extensions/weaves
- AVOID HEAT WHEREVER POSSIBLE – i.e. avoid blow-drying and hot-comb and all that stuff. Not good for our hair. Some people use occasionally (like once or twice a year) – I haven’t so far
- Using protective styling is essential!! (e.g. two strand twists, coils, cornrows, or occasional weaves and extensions). Don’t go for too many days without a protective style in your hair, especially in winter
- If you are not wearing extensions or weaves, I think you should wash your hair least every 7-10 days to hydrate your hair, cleanse your scalp and to avoid product build-up. My personal opinion.
- When combing your hair, use a wide tooth comb only (preferably a “seamless one”. Some people use “denman brushes”. I DON’T!
- When combing, start at the ends and comb gently working your way to the roots – never start combing straight from the roots!!
- Only wash your scalp, never wash the hair itself, the hair will be cleansed in the process.
- After wash/conditioning gently blot your hair dry with a very soft towel or paper towels. Never rub your hair dry. Blot, and then add some leave-in, then air dry. If you find your pressed for time, pencil this in a ‘night before’ activity.